Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Chick Pea Curry

Having lived in Britain a long time, I took a liking to Indian food. Luckily here in Toronto you can get Sharwood's Curry Powder imported from England, which is the one I use. You can add garlic and fresh ginger in, also potatoes, but I had to omit them as my husband can't eat them, so I cook some brown rice instead. I have tried making curry from scratch using all the fresh herbs and spices but it was never successful. Now I play it safe and use a ready mix curry powder.

2 cans of chick peas almost drained, just save a bit of juice
1 large chopped onion
2 tablespoons of Sharwoods Mild Madras Curry Powder or what ever curry powder you like
Salt and pepper
Oil
Serves 4

Fry the onion in oil until soft then add the curry powder and cook for another minute.
Add the chick peas and cook for another minute or two.
Serve with rice.
If you want to use fresh ginger and garlic, cut into very small pieces and add them when you cook the onions.
If you like potatoes use four medium sized ones cut into cubes and save the juice from one can and cover with and cook until potates are soft.


No comments: